Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Throwback Thursday: Safety's off The Toaster, Shadow By The Moonlight

Hazy vision, smoke enters & escapes my lungs. Crown Royal on ice...no chase, ever.
Feet up, shorty under my right arm. Fresh into the new millenium...settling in comfortably; my 2nd year of high school.

My boy Starang high off me allowing him to wild out & sing the lyrics generously to Jay-Z "N*gga What, N*gga Who" violently jumps about rapping every word in attempts to impress my girlfriend's 3 friends. I decide to change up the flow a little bit, & insert a CD my boy Tune had made me. First track, Louis Logic - Factotum. To this day, still a favourite joint.
The track that followed? It grabbed me by the intangibles. I didn't want to breathe, blink, move.
Coolie High.
Whatever I thought it meant at the time, the title encompassed my mood. I needed to take this in.
That Sonny Cheeba & Geechi Suede single immediately becoming a staple in all playlists from then on, fueled my tireless search for the full album, "Uptown Saturday Night". HMV, Music World, Sunrise...they all let me down. Internets wasnt poppin' like that for me, so finding the album front to back was an inaccesible oppurtunity for more audio contraband.
The bounce I got from Luchini, comparable only to the aforementioned Hov joint, was welcomed; but Sparkle was the only joint that could match the feeling of my Coolie High.
These Bronx dudes had something melodic I needed.

Much bigger than credit given, they were The Great Bronx Hype making their 1996 debut on The Great White Hype Soundtrack.

2 comments:

Life's Enthusiast said...

I been loving Camp Lo. they do their damn thing.
Good to see niggas still posting that real shit.
Big Ups to Kamakacci.
I'll be in the building for the Good & Plenty this weekend. I'ma holla at y'all niggas.

1 Love.

Anonymous said...

GEECHI SUEDE!!!

LOVE THESE DUDES.