Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

Monday, March 1, 2010

Slapdash Files: A Is For Apple

Growing up, I never got lunches packed for me, but used to scrounge around the house, & put something together on my own. After approx grade 5 or 6 when the father-dude flew the coup, my mother worked soooo much to maintain a certain standard of living for my sister & I. Her being dedicated to that cause had her away from home alot, leaving my sister & I to our own devices.
My sister not being a wiz in the kitchen although she's the older one(chick is on a Kellogg's diet for real), a vast amount of junk food & fast food was consumed. If there was, however, dinner made; for lunch the next day I would sneak the leftovers to school.
More often than not, other kids lunches were light years better than mine, which is where I think I grew this subconcious disdain for leftovers. Anyone that knows me, know I reeeeally don't eff with leftovers. If I do, it's gotta be cooked by Moses with some Jesus seasoning, served by Eva Mendes.
Today leaving the crib, my mom didn't have classes to teach, so she's running around, talking sh*t, doing what mothers do. I get downstairs & there is an apple accompanied by a cup of tea... for me. Not tryna diss, I take both, as she says, "An apple a day lil' n*gga" (Ok fine, she didn't say lil n*gga, but f*ck you too).
I just ate the apple, now that I'm at work, & did some research on 'em. Apples are the sh*t!
Do The Knowledge
"An apple is the perfect portable snack. Eating just one apple a day can reduce a woman's chances of developing breast cancer by 17% according to a study done at Cornell University."
"Apples are loaded with disease lowering antioxidants. Specifically they can help lower your chances of developing cancer and heart disease. They also have vitamins, minerals, fibre and a low GI index. Most of the antioxidants are in the peel so wash them well and eat them fresh or cook them with the peel on. Add apples (cored with the peel on) to pureed soups, pancakes, muffins, or just bake them stuffed with dried cranberries and walnuts." You planning on eating more apples? Here's a little run down on a couple that could catch your eye, and instructions on what to do best with them.

Red Delicious
Flavour: Sweet, juicy; firm
Uses: Excellent for eating fresh; don't cook with them

Empire
Flavour: Sweet and tart, juicy, very crisp
Uses: Excellent for eating fresh or add to a salad. Good for baking.

Idared
Flavour: Sweetly tart, juicy, firm
Uses: Excellent for baking. Good for eating fresh or add to a salad

Gala
Flavour: Sweet
Uses: Excellent for eating fresh

Golden Delicious
Flavour: Mild sweet, juicy, crisp
Uses: Excellent for eating fresh or add to a salad.

Cortland
Flavour: Sweet hint of tartness, juicy
Uses: Excellent for baking

Northern Spy:
Flavour: Sweet, very juicy, crisp
Uses: Excellent for baking

Honeycrisp
Flavour: Sweet, very juicy, crisp
Uses: Excellent for eating fresh

I got my Rachel Ray on today with this Apple Talk

1 comment:

Cori said...

i promise to bob 4 apples.