Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Throwback Thursday: Hood Possession

You know those dudes that play some soft sh*t when there are feminines in the whip, but will blast that real G sh*t when the women gone? My oler sister by 5 years had one of those.
Summer 2000.
I was learning more about the A Tribe Called Quest Break Up, & we would bump 1998's "The Love Movement", as well as Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady" from "Mama's Gun" album.
Good times.
My sister's boyfriend, this dude whose name we'll shorten to J would come around. About 5'9", stocky, with light skin & green eyes, he drove a brand new Chrysler Sebring drop top. At the time, the car was hot, the women flocked, & my sister was smitten. Him & I got along well, so well that he would take me around to do runs with him, without my sis.
Somehow I was permitted to kick it with dude who was at least 7 years older than me, taking trips to hoods like Reagent Park & Jungle; Oakwood on the Eglinton strip in specific. Dude knew everyone.
From birds on his jock, to Street Pharmacists begging him to do "business" with them, they all showed love & respect. But someone has to hate, right?
It was a hot & hazy Monday night; I remember, because we wanted to get back in time to watch wrestling (Monday Night Raw!!) & he was making a drop off around Oakwood, on the Vaughn strip.
I stayed in the whip, & he took the briefcase out to the stoop were a 3 dudes were chatting.
He says what up.
They politic.
Something goes wrong.
2 of the dudes run in the house, covering their heads, while the main guy raises his voice and reaches for J’s neck. One swift motion had the dude face down, taking gun butts to the back of the skull, via J’s taekwondo background, believe it or not.
Just like in a movie, after assaulting his victim, J gets up, & glares at the mini crowd that’s gathered on the other side of the street, briefcase still in hand. He pauses, & lets off a shot in the air. I JUMP in my seat.
He calmly walks back to the vehicle, wipes the blood off his hands with a rag he kept in the trunk, where he placed the briefcase.
We peel out of the neighbourhood bumping MC Eiht & Mack 10 & Technic – “The Hood Is Mine”.
Ever since that day, “I been dying to rep that side”. "Throw a bullet & make you a receiver & I'll L-B-C ya..."

No comments: