Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

Friday, August 21, 2009

Witnessed the Biggest Slice o' Lightning Lastnight

So there was a storm lastnight...
It had tremendous lightning & ferocious thunder that had women I stopped frequenting calling, asking me to come over (it should rain like this everyday). I didn’t realize how bad it was, because I was cooped up @ the office, and I pay no mind to things when I'm in the zone. Apparently the storm spawned as many as four suspected tornadoes! WHAT?
There were numerous pieces written about the sky clash that hovered over Southern Ontario yesterday, here are some of my fav bites from other sources:

"The violent storm destroyed numerous homes, ripped up trees, flipped cars and left thousands of people without power."

"One of the worst-hit areas was Durham, south of Owen Sound, where police confirmed one storm-related death. But authorities have not yet confirmed reports the victim is a teenaged boy."

"I heard the noise that something was happening, but I didn't realize exactly the extent of what," said Spinelli, who had been sitting right at the spot where the storm hit but moved just before her roof caved in.
"It was a big roar. I never heard anything like that in my life. When I actually came outside and saw all of that I actually went into shock. There's brick that was moved."

"Lampposts were torn off one driveway, while another was covered with downed trees which had flattened cars, smashed lights and windows. "

"I am scared now, of course. You don't expect it, you never see this in Toronto, here. We've had bad rain but not like this. It's not a good feeling."

"Some of the footage actually showing contact with the ground - the vortex of the winds picking dust and debris up..."By Friday morning, power had been restored in many areas serviced by the utility, but Bracebridge, north of Toronto, still had about 2,200 customers blacked out. Toronto Hydro reported multiple outages in the city, but by morning, said it had made "significant progress" is restoring electricity to its customers.

Source: Yahoo Canada News

No comments: